Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Which amp would you pick? Between 350 and 400 bucks  (Read 20209 times)

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Which amp would you pick? Between 350 and 400 bucks
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »
Fender G-DEC 3 Thirty ($400)      
Marshall Class 5 ($400)      
Line 6 Spider IV 120 120W ($400)      
Blackstar HT-5 Series 5W ($400)      
Peavey Vypyr 100 100W 2x12 ($400)      
Bugera V22 22W 1x12 ($350)      
Vox Valvetronix VT50 50W 1x12 ($350)      
Peavey Windsor Studio 20W ($400)      
Jet City Amplification JCA2112RC 20W Combo ($400)

Which one would you pick if you had 400 bucks and needed to buy one in the store TODAY? This is just for fun... You can't pick any used amps.

I would pick the Bugera because I am curious about one - never tried one yet. The Vox Valvetronix would be 2nd on my list, and 3rd would be the Fender G-DEC 3.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Which amp would you pick? Between 350 and 400 bucks
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:34:53 AM »
I just bought a JCA2112RC for $299, 20 watt pure tube amp.  No crazy electronics.

Marshall Class 5 is nice, but not beefy enough for a stage
Line 6 Spder IV, great for practice, gets too brittle for higher volume needs on a stage
Bugera sounds great, but has reliablity issues (I had to return it in favor of the Jet City)
Peavey Vypyr is another solid state amp that doesn't have the warmth and contains PCB electronics which can fail and not be repaired.
Same goes for the Vox Valvetronics.
Blackstar is the same as the Marshall.
After a bad experience with the Peavey Valveking, I wouldn't trust the Windsor either.

So by default, the JCA seems to be the best amp for the money (Plus its a chinese clone of the Soldano amp line that has been inspected and approved by Mike Soldano himself!)

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 01:27:13 PM »
Off of the list you got there, I'd go with the Bugera V22, because I've tried one and it's the most versatile (sound wise) tube amp of the bunch. The others break up too soon for me. As far as it's reputation on reliability, I'd just have to take my chances.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 01:36:11 PM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 01:41:06 PM »
I had some previous posts on the Bugera.  Yes, I love the tone of this amp.  If only it was reliable.  Since I rarely trust the larger forums for advice (problems with manufactures and competitors boasting/slamming on them).  I like using youtube reviews as a reference.  Usually you can contact the poster long after the video was made to ask if they still like the amp/effect/guitar, etc...  The Bugera had many mixed results.  A few people went through a couple before they just gave up on them.  If you're good at electronics, maybe its no so bad.  I believe in new items shouldn't require repair during its first few hours of use.

zagatron1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 02:13:21 PM »
I had some previous posts on the Bugera.  Yes, I love the tone of this amp.  If only it was reliable.  Since I rarely trust the larger forums for advice (problems with manufactures and competitors boasting/slamming on them).  I like using youtube reviews as a reference.  Usually you can contact the poster long after the video was made to ask if they still like the amp/effect/guitar, etc...  The Bugera had many mixed results.  A few people went through a couple before they just gave up on them.  If you're good at electronics, maybe its no so bad.  I believe in new items shouldn't require repair during its first few hours of use.

Agreed! But, hey..... I was just going along with the scenario. Last thing I need is another amp. I'm basically a 6V6 guy though.

robert

• Guitar Guy
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 03:11:08 PM »
A friend of mine has been gigging steady with a Bugera V22 for 6-8 months - no problems whatsoever, he reports.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:41:55 PM »
I wish that was the case with me.  I wanted to gig with mine.  Hopefully, it will stay that way for him for a long long time.

pictoratus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:13:24 PM »
My top pick would be the Blackstar HT-5 Series 5W. Looks like a good one. I'd pick the Vox after that and the Bugera third.

creekster52

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 10:43:47 PM »
IMHO buying a new amp is like buying a new car. You lose a lot of value as soon as you leave the dealership. There are so many good, US made, lightly used amps out there, and at bargain prices.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:44 PM »
Very true.  I don't think I'll ever buy a new guitar or effect pedal new ever again.  Amps, well, I've had too much bad experience to want to go back to something used again. 

weelie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 02:05:59 AM »
Very true.  I don't think I'll ever buy a new guitar or effect pedal new ever again.

I said that once too. Then bought something new again. I have bought used amps with no problems, of course you might have to count in some maintenance (tubes, speaker...).

The amp I am planning to buy is Kustom Contender. Very small, simple and works. For more money or bigger needs, I'd look into Egnater tweaker: http://www.egnateramps.com/products/Tweaker/TweakerHead.html

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 02:05:32 PM »
Egnater are really cool.  I messed around with a few at Guitar Center.  They seem to have a lot of used heads lately.  Not sure why, but they are all under $350 used....

Dan

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
I think you find a lot of these heads used is because people make the transition from small practice bedroom amp to actually trying to gig in a louder band. Once that happens you learn to love amps like Twin Reverbs and such and a set of good pedals. Something that will cut through the mix with enough headroom so it isn't maxed out and distorting just to keep up.

Then after this, the next step is larger production bands where everything is miked, now the small boutique amp can once more be put into use for it's pure tone without worrying about the volume or fullness of sound coverage.

Personally I've always preferred a non miked setup. I love the purity of listening to what come straight out of the amp even though setting levels can be a chore.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 11:18:56 AM »
My Jet City cut through the bands I was playing with this past week.  I did have the master volume at 3/4 of max, but the preamp was less than 1/2 of max.  That amp is only 20 watts.  I was at a concert a few weeks ago, and a rather unusual opening band used a couple fender twin, but they had a ton of effects in front.

sven

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »
my SCXD not on the list?  Pro Jr?  those two get my vote.  Bugera for the list.   I've heard they sound very good.