Want to learn jazz?

Have you seen my latest Blues Course - Slow 60 Blues?

Author Topic: Gibson SG Robbie Krieger Custom Shop SG *NOS*...#40 of ONLY 50!! The Doors  (Read 22860 times)

Memory Lane Jr

• New Dolphinstreet Member!
    • View Profile

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'll settle for mine...

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile
Hey DB what are the P90's like in the SG's? I have not heard them, Are they thin sounding?
The SG Special 60's tribute is a fair bit cheaper than an SG standard in lefty, like $500 cheaper in Oz but I was not sure if the P90's would sound as good as the Standards pickups.

zagatron1

• View Profile
Wow, is that all they want for that Robbie Krieger SG? $7990.00 AU? I believe that's 7,747.90 in USD. Wonder how many they have on hand? ::)  By the way, I hear ya DB! Go on wit yo' bad self. ;D  But seriously folks....... I wonder why they have those P-90's close together like that? I'd slide that neck pickup a tad closer to the neck. Anyway, she's a beauty!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 01:13:36 AM by zagatron1 »

reb

• View Profile
i am continually amused by the 'famous person's name is on this item, charge me more for it' phenomenon.

i couldn't care less whose name is on something as a supposed endorsement. i care more about the build quality...but i'm not going to give more than double for a fuzzface with bonamassa's name o n it, or a wah with 'your name here' on it.

8 grand....funny. hopeful, i guess?

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Hey DB what are the P90's like in the SG's? I have not heard them, Are they thin sounding?
The SG Special 60's tribute is a fair bit cheaper than an SG standard in lefty, like $500 cheaper in Oz but I was not sure if the P90's would sound as good as the Standards pickups.

I've played the newer 60's Tribute Series from Gibson.  They have nothing on this guitar.  With the Peavey Delta Blues, this guitar is killer.  Lots of AC/DC mojo coming through those pickups despite the fact its a P90.  I really think there is a huge difference in electronics from a custom shop Gibson and their Tribute lines...

Memory Lane Jr

• View Profile

I've played the newer 60's Tribute Series from Gibson.  They have nothing on this guitar.  With the Peavey Delta Blues, this guitar is killer.  Lots of AC/DC mojo coming through those pickups despite the fact its a P90.  I really think there is a huge difference in electronics from a custom shop Gibson and their Tribute lines...

Funny you should say that I finally had a chance to play & have a good look at a 60's Tribute & I was not impressed the finish on the guitar was terrible, the fret edges were sharp & one end of the pickguard where it meets the neck had a big gap, it put me right off.
I would go as far to say the Epiphone G400 that was next to the Gibson was of a better finish & that is a $500 guitar compared to a $1400 guitar. Hopefully the SG Standard is of better quality.
Sounnds like you got a killer guitar DB.

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I should expect it to be a killer guitar considering its not a normal USA SG.  But you're right, Epiphone quality is near as good if not better than Gibson on their higher end guitars compared to Gibson's lower end models...

zagatron1

• View Profile
First, there were Epiphones some folks were flippin' their noses at, now there's "lower end" Gibsons. Never knew there was such a thing. Everybodys got to find something to differentiate with. I guess if you spend say....... $850 on a brand new Gibson or something, then someone that spends $1400 on a guitar will say yours is a low end Gibson, then someone else will have a $6000 guitar and look down on that person, then somebody else will have a $12,000 one so they can look down on the that person and so on. Raising the bar! Does it ever end? Example, you can go out today and treat yourself to your first American Strat and think you did yourself proud, only to have some other have themselves a American Deluxe Strat brag 'bout what they have, then enter the "Custom Shop" Strat guy braggin' 'bout what he got! Does it ever end? See it in the forums ALL the time. No end in sight.

reb

• View Profile
heck, everything i have is low end. i'm low end. my dog's belly drags the ground...

who wants to be high end, anyway, except people who are insecure? lol!

i have known a few people with rolexes....they are all scared they can't keep up with the liberal rich.  maybe they need a prius?

you know why toyota named the two small cars 'the prius' and the 'yaris'?

if you get hit hard in either of them, they will have to 'pry us' out of the one, and, in the other, 'yer a$$' is done for....:)

high end...*snorts*

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
First, there were Epiphones some folks were flippin' their noses at, now there's "lower end" Gibsons. Never knew there was such a thing. Everybodys got to find something to differentiate with. I guess if you spend say....... $850 on a brand new Gibson or something, then someone that spends $1400 on a guitar will say yours is a low end Gibson, then someone else will have a $6000 guitar and look down on that person, then somebody else will have a $12,000 one so they can look down on the that person and so on. Raising the bar! Does it ever end? Example, you can go out today and treat yourself to your first American Strat and think you did yourself proud, only to have some other have themselves a American Deluxe Strat brag 'bout what they have, then enter the "Custom Shop" Strat guy braggin' 'bout what he got! Does it ever end? See it in the forums ALL the time. No end in sight.

I do not consider "low end" with low quality, but more in the sense of afford-ability.  For the money, I think the best sounding Gibson Les Paul is the Faded Cherry or Brown Studio Les Paul.  Sounds better than any other studio or standard I've played.  I'd take that guitar in a heartbeat.  I had a Faded Ebony model, but it had different pickups from the Cherry and didn't sound as good as my Epiphone Les Paul with Gibson Burstbucker Pro's.  So I returned it in favor of a Chinese made Epiphone.  If I had another chance at a Faded Cherry Studio LP, all I'd do would be to have the top painted in a Gold Top, then it would be perfect.  I'd rather take a guitar and make it my own rather than spend the extra money on a "higher end" model.  Since I can find the faded LP's used at around $500, I think its a real bargain for a USA made Les Paul.  Spend another $200 for a professional refinish, and you have a guitar that is going to sound better than the Tribute Series or the Standard series, and look just as good.

As far as Stratocasters go, I've always wanted an American one, but I wasn't willing to shell out $1,000+ for one.  I had a MIM Deluxe Lonestar and Roadhouse.  Both were really well made guitars and had some higher quality stock appointments in electronics and neck finishing over the MIM Standard series.  I also had a MIM Classic Player and a MIM Classic Series.  All of those guitars were every bit as good as an American Standard or even an American Deluxe as far as workmanship quality and electronics go.  But since I was able to sell my Classic Player for a profit and only spend $100 more out of pocket for some to purchase and upgrade an MIA Standard, I still have a guitar that looks great and sounds great with the appointments I really like.

The only guitars I frown upon are the bolt on neck Epiphones and Squier Affinity Series.  There are a lot of quality control issues with them besides having poor quality hardware and electronics in them.  My daughter had a Squier Affinity that almost every week, I had to keep adjusting the neck.  I'd play a Squier Classic Vibe series Tele or Strat, just like I'd play an Epiphone Standard because they have better sounding electronics and they are really well made, no replacement parts or constant adjustments needed. 

But I will not judge anyone for what they have.  I'm sure a few guitarists that see me on stage think less of me because I play an Epiphone Dot Deluxe on stage and not a Gibson ES335.  I even have a guy ask me about a Joyo Ultimate Drive pedal I was using.  When I told him what it was, he kind of gave a disapproving look because I didn't have some $300 boutique overdrive pedal.  I was proud that I spent $40 on a brand new OCD clone.  I also used a tiny Blues Jr. for my stage amp.  I didn't have a half stack like the last band or the Fender Deville the 2nd band's guitarist had.  I knew mine had the volume and tone I like.  If its not macho enough for them, oh well.  I let my playing and the audience reaction speak for itself.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:45:58 AM by DetroitBlues »

zagatron1

• View Profile
Well DB, you're a well grounded guy and know what you want, because it works for you. It's those "uppity" dorks that make the rest of us look bad. With them, it's all about show, the need to judge and the funny thing about it all is.... the show ain't for the audience! HaHa! It's been said thousands of times "the audience could care less what brand gear you have, where it's made etc." The show is for, 1) The Ego, 2) Fellow band members and lastly 3)  Members of the other group [if there is one] on the playbill. One other thing and I'll leave this alone...... some don't take into account there are still guitarists out there that are NOT as well versed or well informed about gear, so they don't know (or care). So the showboating will be for nothing.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 11:26:58 AM by zagatron1 »

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
I'm not sure how many of you, if any, are subscribed to Blues Blast Magazine email, you'll see all sorts of hard working blues musicians playing whatever guitar they can find.  Even a guy that plays a cigar box and another who makes his guitar out of automobile parts...

VikingBlues

• View Profile
Sorry - coming late to this thread after my absence from  the forum. But WOW - nice guitar DB. That combination of all mahogany and P90s can be a tone heaven!!  8)

Have a listen to Pete Townshends guitar work on Live at Leeds! He used SG Special with P90s from 1968 to 1971 till the supply dried up - the last thing I'd call the guitar sound on Live at Leeds would be thin.  ;D

But then - I am biaised - I've been a late convert to the P90 sound and like most converts am now baffled by anyone else not thinking they're wonderful, despite my previous lack of appreciation of them.  ::)

DetroitBlues

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Santana also played a Gibson SG Special for years until PRS won him over...